President Muhammadu Buhari has mandated the state governments and the FCT to enforce non-pharmaceutical guidelines, primarily the use of face masks, in public appearance and places.
This was made known to the public by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman, Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, during the taskforce briefing in Abuja.
Mustapha said that prior to the Sallah break, the PTF informed the nation that the 6th Interim Report and recommendations would be submitted to Mr. President for his consideration and approval.
He then said that the PTF team met with the President on Wednesday 5th August 2020 to brief him of the situation on COVID-19 and the next steps.
He said that the recommendations made to the President were borne out of the diligent evaluation of the situation in Nigeria as well as regional and global experiences and that the considerations were also guided by the three thematic areas movement, industry, and labor; and community activities.
Mustapha further said that after due consideration of the recommendations, Mr. President approved the maintaining the current phase of the National Response to COVID-19 for another four weeks in line with the modifications reflected in the report; partnering with states and local governments to improve community sensitisation and engagement to the COVID-19 response.
He also said that the President has mandated state authorities and the FCT to enforce non-pharmaceutical guidelines, primarily the use of face masks in public appearance and places; encouraging state governments to collaborate with local government authorities to intensify necessary measures such as contact tracing, grassroots mobilisation and risk communication; and Strengthening of collaboration with other mandate groups at Federal/State levels to harmonise the country’s COVID-19 response, on the short, medium and long-term basis.
The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq has revealed that the ministry has received not less than 5 million applications from Nigerian youths for the ongoing Batch C N-Power programme registration.
The Minister who said this in a series of tweets said this that she is happy to announced that the ministry has received over 5 million applications after one month after the portal opened for Batch C underlining enthusiasm for the programme.
She also said that in a bid to extend the opportunity to all Nigerians and ensure it is truly inclusive, the portal will close at midnight on August 8, 2020.
The N-Power programme was inaugurated by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2016. Thousands of beneficiaries are spread across key industries targeted by the programme including Agriculture, Health, Education, and Tax.
Last month, the ministry announced the disengagement of both batches A and B volunteers.
President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the suspension of the Secretary of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Olanipekun Olukoyede and 11 other directors who are said to be loyalists of the embattled former EFCC Boss, Ibrahim Magu.
According to report, the order was handed down following a request by the presidential panel investigating the allegations of graft and misconduct against the former EFCC acting chairman , Ibrahim Magu .
It was learnt that the directors were asked by the Attorney General of the Federation , Abubakar Malami ( SAN ) , to proceed on suspension on Tuesday in compliance with the presidential order .
A source hinted that the panel actually requested the suspension of all the directors in the commission.
It was gathered that this is happening as some loyalists to Magu were said to have fled with some sensitive files requested by the presidential panel .
It was also said that the failure of some of the loyalists referred to as Magu boys to provide the sensitive files requested by the panel is being treated as a serious security issue.
Meanwhile , Magu on Wednesday demanded a copy of the report of the Presidential Committee on Audit of Recovered Assets and a memo by the Attorney- General of the Federation to the President in which 22 allegations were levelled against him .
The former EFCC boss in a letter to the panel chairman , Justice Ayo Salami, dated July 15 , 2020 , explained that he had not seen the allegations and petitions against him despite spending over nine days in custody.
The panel set up by President Muhammadu Buhari to probe corruption allegation levelled against the acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu has asked the him to temporarily quit office.
Magu who was said to have spent last night in police cell at the Force Criminal Investigation Department Headquarters in Area 10, Garki, Abuja was quizzed on Monday for about six hours by a Presidential panel, chaired by a former President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Salami was suspended some hours ago according to a source in the Presidency.
The panel that suspended the EFCC boss was constituted by President Muhammadu Buhari to probe various allegations levelled against Magu following a petition by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and the Department of State Service (DSS).
Malami’s memo allegedly accused Magu of diversion of recovered loot.
The memo was said to contain 22 allegations against the embattled EFCC chairman.
However, Malami’s spokesman, Dr Umar Gwandu, said he had no knowledge of Magu’s arrest nor the suspension.
Also, when the media aide of the anti-graft boss, Tony Amokedo was contacted, he said that he is not aware of the suspension of his boss.
Senate President, Ahmad Lawan has said that the legislative arm of the government is not in anyway against the recruitment of 774, 000 youth across the country which is part of the Federal Government COVID- 19 palliative measures .
Lawan said this while responding to journalists questions in Abuja that if the senate didn’t like the programme, it would not have passed it and that it would be unfair to say that the executive and those in the legislature are not on the same page because of an action by someone in the executive.
He , however , said that the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) and the Minister of Labour and Productivity , Chris Ngige , must first explain the modalities for the recruitment process.
The Senate leader also said that it is the right of the senate joint committee to ask questions, because the senate are meant to interrogate the processes through which such programmes will be implemented. He added that the committee actions should not be taking for going against the government as it is for the interest of the government and the nation at large.
Lawal again affirmed that the N52bn approved for the programme is totally under the control of NDE but the directorate should be ready to answer questions.
Recall that the National Assembly had last week asked the government to suspend the programme, following a face- off between the Minister of State for Labour , Festus Keyamo , and the joint panel of the two chambers of the federal parliament .