Tag Archives: Jobs

Over 5 Million Youths Jostle For 400,000 N-Power Jobs

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq has revealed that the ministry has received not less than 5 million applications from Nigerian youths for the ongoing Batch C N-Power programme registration.

The Minister who said this in a series of tweets said this that she is happy to announced that the ministry has received over 5 million applications after one month after the portal opened for Batch C underlining enthusiasm for the programme.

She also said that in a bid to extend the opportunity to all Nigerians and ensure it is truly inclusive, the portal will close at midnight on August 8, 2020.

The N-Power programme was inaugurated by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2016. Thousands of beneficiaries are spread across key industries targeted by the programme including Agriculture, Health, Education, and Tax.

Last month, the ministry announced the disengagement of both batches A and B volunteers.

Ebonyi Governor Sacks About 2000 Aides

Ebonyi State Governor, David Nweze Umahi has sacked over 1,800 of his aides over what he described as “nonchalant attitudes of his appointees in Executive Assistants, Senior Technical Assistant and Technical Assistants”.

Umahi made this known when he signed into law, the Ebonyi State 2020 Revised Budget of 132billion in a virtual ceremony at the Ecumenical Centre Abakaliki.

Governor Umahi who approved the dissolution of the 3 categories of appointees said the sack is effective from 1st August, 2020.

He, however, urged those interested in rendering services to the state government in their capabilities to reapply after their dissolutions which will be subject to approval by the Ministries, Departments and Agencies where they wish to serve.

He also stated that anyone reapplying must have an agricultural farm and tangible evidence of the farm must be tabled with either Commissioners, SAs, SSAs, Boards or Commissions as sponsors. He added that it is the effort of the government to turn the minds of Ebonyians from appointment position to business minds.

The Governor also noted that the budget had passed through various processes, starting with the citizens’ budgets for the inclusion of omitted areas and necessary inputs.

774, 000 Jobs : Buhari Goes Against National Assembly Directive, Ask Keyamo To Start Recruitment Exercise

President Muhammadu Buhari has given the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo ( SAN ) , the approval to supervise the recruitment of 774 , 000 youths under the Special Public Works Programme which go against the National Assembly’s directive, which says the exercise should be suspended.

The ministry of Labour confirmed this to via its Twitter account on Tuesday that it had received the instructions from Mr President , to proceed with the supervision of the preparation for the execution of the programme in accordance with the law and that the recruitment of the 774, 000 youths had started.

It was also learnt that Keyamo directed the NDE DG to halt further actions on the recruitment of the workers , which he insisted would be undertaken by the ministry .

Findings indicate that the SPWG portal , https :/ /specialpublicworks . gov . ng/ site / has started functioning . It contains the list of state selection committee members inaugurated by the minister a few weeks ago and other tips on the exercise.

Recall that Buhari had, a few months ago , approved the employment of 774, 000 workers as part of efforts to cushion the economic hardship caused by the COVID- 19 pandemic.

Under the programme , 1 , 000 Nigerians , who will earn N 20 , 000 each on a monthly basis for three months, will be recruited in each of the 774 local government areas of the country.

The programme was , however , hit by a crisis on July 1 when the National Assembly said it had suspended it because of a disagreement it had with Keyamo.

The legislators have denied receiving any information regarding the confirmation by Mr. President but will see to the issue during its sitting on Wednesday (today).

‘Why We Stopped 58 Nigerian Doctors From Going To UK’ NIS

Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) has revealed the reason why the 58 medical doctors were denied departure to United Kingdom.

Speaking to newsmen on the development, NIS spokesperson, Sunday James said that only two of the 58 doctors had visa on them and as such there is no way they would be allowed to leave the country.

It was gathered that the affected doctors actually got a job offer from a yet to be identified Hospital in the United Kingdom.
The recruitment process was conducted by a UK recruitment firm, NES Healthcare, helping UK health care providers to recruit personnel worldwide.

It was also learnt that the firm had sent a mail to the doctors that it had gotten approval from the UK government to fly them to England and then issue them visas on arrival.

The doctors were also asked, through the mail, to pay £500 for tickets on a chartered flight to convey them from Lagos to London.

The aircraft flight number ENT 550, registration number SP-ES that flew in from London left Lagos yesterday without the doctors.

However, the NIS spokesperson said that Immigration service was not against labour migration but such must be done with due process followed to the latter.

He also noted that the Immigration was only carrying out its statutory duty of control of entry and exit and couldn’t take any risk, especially as it was a chartered aircraft that came into the country to pick persons without any prior notification.

James reiterated that the decision of the medical doctors to attempt to leave the country without visa was tantamount to smuggling, which is an Immigration offence but the immigration service was not interested in punishing them but turning them back would serve as deterrence to others who might want indulge in such immigration abuse.

‘Senate Not Against the 774, 000 Jobs Recruitment’ Lawan

Senate President, Ahmad Lawan has said that the legislative arm of the government is not in anyway against the recruitment of 774, 000 youth across the country which is part of the Federal Government COVID- 19 palliative measures .

Lawan said this while responding to journalists questions in Abuja that if the senate didn’t like the programme, it would not have passed it and that it would be unfair to say that the executive and those in the legislature are not on the same page because of an action by someone in the executive.

He , however , said that the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) and the Minister of Labour and Productivity , Chris Ngige , must first explain the modalities for the recruitment process.

The Senate leader also said that it is the right of the senate joint committee to ask questions, because the senate are meant to interrogate the processes through which such programmes will be implemented. He added that the committee actions should not be taking for going against the government as it is for the interest of the government and the nation at large.

Lawal again affirmed that the N52bn approved for the programme is totally under the control of NDE but the directorate should be ready to answer questions.

Recall that the National Assembly had last week asked the government to suspend the programme, following a face- off between the Minister of State for Labour , Festus Keyamo , and the joint panel of the two chambers of the federal parliament .

« Older Entries