Nigeria government has given directives for safe reopening of schools for graduating students who will be writing external examinations with immediate effect.
The Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID- 19 , Boss Mustapha , disclosed this at the daily briefing of the task force in Abuja on Monday.
He said the reopening of schools was meant to allow pupils in graduating classes resume preparation for examinations .
Boss also disclosed that the latest developments were contained in the task force ’ s fifth interim report which was submitted to the President earlier in the day .
Explaining the partial reopening of schools , the PTF National Coordinator, Dr. Sani Aliyu said that for educational activities, all day care and primary schools are to remain closed until further evaluation .
He added that schools are encouraged to continue with e – learning and virtual teaching and that pupils may proceed to take the national common entrance ( examination) as soon as it is feasible, provided there is compliance with issued non – pharmaceutical interventions .
Aliyu also said that arrangements are required to be made for exiting graduating students in the JSS 3 and the SS 3 to resume at both boarding and day schools as soon as possible for intensive revision exercises.
He pointed that tertiary institutions and other classes of the secondary schools are to remain closed.
The Jama’atu Nasril Islam, JNI, led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammed Sa’ad Abubakar 111 has told the Federal Government that Nigerians have a right to express their feelings over the spate of killings in the country, especially in the north.
The JNI also blasted security agencies over what he described as lackadaisical attitude in the fight against terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and other violent crimes in the country, saying they seemed to be overwhelmed by the problem.
Its statement came against the backdrop of attacks on the convener of Northern Elders Forum, Prof. Ango Abdullahi and some Arewa youth groups who expressed reservations over government’s inability to stop the orgy of killings in the north earlier this week.
It further admonished that government should stop issuing light press statement on security upheavals because citizens confidence need to be strengthened with resounding assurances.
The statement also added that government should ensured that anyone found culpable in the gross act of the killings in the country should not be speared.
The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has said that said schools will not be opening anytime soon be reopen because there is need to protect the vulnerable and halt the spread of the virus in communities.
This was coming from the PTF chair Boss Mustapha said while updating the nation on the Pandemic. He said that Nigeria has witnessed a spike in number of confirmed cases in the last two days, which has given the government the cause for concern as such school resumption isn’t feasible for now as it is delicate since Nigeria had entered the phase of community spread of the virus.
He said Nigeria should pursue a strategy that will aid the sustainable control of the spread of the disease, adding that communications and community engagement should remain top priority, while precision approach to containment and management should be adopted.
Also, speaking at the briefing, Dr. Sani Aliyu, the PTF Coordinator said the PTF was working closely with the Ministry of Education to work out a resumption plan for schools since majority of students may be living with the vulnerable group of Nigerians.
He said the plan may be to allow those who are supposed to write examination to do so, saying “we don’t want what has happened to affect the next academic session”.
The Federal government has debunked the rumour that N-Power beneficiaries will be recruited into Civil Service by 12 June.
A statement by the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development’s deputy director for information, Rhoda Ishaku Iliya says the news is fake.
The statement further states that the news which had it that President Buhari will be announcing the absorption of the N-Power beneficiaries, especially the Batch A N-Power Volunteers into civil service is nothing but a baseless news.
The ministry urged the general populace to dissociate from such news that any information on N-POWER or the National Social Investment Programme will be issued through the appropriate Federal Government channels.
Mr Festus Keyamo (SAN), Minister of State for Labour and Employment has said that the Federal Government has agreed to pay the sum of twenty thousand naira, (20,000), to unemployed youths, for three months, to maintain public and social infrastructures in the country.
Disclosing this at a news conference, Keyamo opined that thee pilot programme earlier approved by Mr. President was designed to mitigate lack of job opportunities in the rural areas through a short-term engagement of 1,000 unemployed persons per local government area for a period of three months.
Speaking further about the job, he said it is a dry season/off-season transient job programme and was originally designed for the rehabilitation/maintenance of public and social infrastructure.
He as well disclosed that participants would to be paid an allowance of N20,000 monthly and would to be recruited largely from the pool of unskilled persons resident in those rural areas.
The minister said he has been asked why there is no registration portal for the said job and he responded that the real targets for these jobs are mostly unskilled rural workers who may not be literate enough and who can’t have access to any portal.
Mr. Keyamo concluded that though the process might not be online that won’t give room for transparency to be compromised.