Tag Archives: Boko haram

Boko Haram: residents flee Yobe community

A recent Boko Haram attack has forced residents of Dapchi in Yobe State on Sunday flee the town for fear of being attacked by the insurgents.

The residents had earlier learnt on Saturday about potential gathering of the insurgents at a nearby bush. They took to their heels believing that they might be attacked during the Eid prayer on Sunday, as it has been the practice of the insurgents.

A lot of the residents were said to have fled to Damaturu, Gashua, Nguru and Potiskum since Saturday.

Consequently, the made the town totally deserted with the Eid prayer not holding on Sunday.

Some residents spoke on phone to journalists on Sunday from a nearby village at a time they suspect that the Boko Haram militants in a convoy of 11 trucks and heavily armed were already close to Dapchi but suddenly changed direction and took the road towards Gumsa.

It was reported that the people took to their heels and a few of them have remained in the bush while many others escaped to neighbouring towns.

AGAIN: Terrorists attack Dapchi, kill one, loot shops

Two years of the first attack when more than 100 schoolgirls were abducted, terrorists have attacked Dapchi, military sources and residents said Tuesday.

The sources report that one soldier was killed and three wounded as terrorists assumed to be part of the fighters believed of the Islamic State group looted shops and torched the home of a local chief in the assault Monday, the sources told AFP.

The attack is happening days to the Muslim festival that follows the month of Ramadan. It is already 10 years since insurgency began waging war on communities in the Northeastern part of Nigeria and the days leading to the end of the ramadan have been periods of deadly attacks.

Fighters suspected to be from the Islamic State West Africa Province faction stormed the town, leading to a fight with troops in which sources said the soldier and five jihadists were killed.

A resident pf the town, Bashir Manzo reported that the insurgents held sway for four hours in town before soldiers backed by a military jet confronted them.

Recall that over 100 school girls were abducted in Dapchi two years ago ans later released while the only Christian among them remained in captive after she reportedly refused to renounce her faith.

The decade-long conflict in the northeast has claimed over 36,000 lives and displaced some two million people.

Boko Haram: Terrorists flee, leaving 72 family members – DHQ

Fleeing Boko Haram and Islamic State West African Province terrorists have been reported to have left 72 of their family members behind in the heat of military onslaughts in Ngala town in the Gamboru-Ngala Local Government Area of Borno State, the Defence Headquarters reports.

The DHQ’s Defence Media Operations (DMO) made this known in a press conference on Friday in Abuja while noting that family members of the insurgents comprising 33 women and 39 children, are already being profiled based on the usual procedure by the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole for further possible action.

Coordinator of the DMO, Maj Gen John Enenche, while speaking on behalf of the DHQ, sad that those left behind were an indication that more terrorists were willing to surrender to the military.

He said, “One of such moves was the dropping off of 72 family members of the Boko Haram and ISWAP, comprising 33 women and 39 children, at the entrance of Ngala town in Ngala LGA on May 10 at about 8.30pm.

The DMO reported that these 72 persons rescued from the Boko Haram terrorists have remained in the custody of troops for further action. In a related development, the operation at Mainok–Jakana in the Kaga Local Government Area of Borno State, reported that 61 Boko Haram criminals were neutralised by the theatre.

Gen. Enenche informed the presss conference that 603 former Boko Haram fighters will be reintegrated to their respective communities and immediate families by June 2020 after the process of de-radicalisation, rehabilitation and reintegration are complete.

He noted that 11 ISWAP fighters also surrendered to the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in Adamawa State on Monday and that the insurgents were being profiled.

He also encouraged terrorist fighters still in the field to surrender to the armed forces or face the heat and fire of the Nigerian Army particularly in the ongoing artillery and air bombardments of the Lake Chad islands.

Airstrikes were recorded by the Nigerian military through Operation Hadarin Daji have killed no fewer than 27 bandits and destroyed their hideouts in Nahuta and Doumborou border communities between Katsina and Zamfara states.

According to Enenche, a surveillance of hideouts of the terrorists show that several of the bandits were seen along with a large number of rustled cattle. The attack aircraft took turns in engaging the area, neutralising some of the bandits while few escaped with injuries.

“Human intelligence sources later confirmed that no fewer than 27 bandits were neutralised as a result of the attack.

COVID-19: Boko Haram may exploit pandemic to increase attacks – UN warns Nigeria

The United Nations(UN) has warned Nigeria about a likelihood of Boko Haram launching increased attacks due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This information was contained in its newly released security threat information and advisory. The United Nations Department for Safety and Security (UNDSS), however, said such resurgence could be averted with adequate measures are in place.

UNDSS warned the group may target areas in which they have experienced success previously using improvised explosive devices (IEDs) to target even critical national infrastructure.

The UNDSS said in addition to constraining government efforts against insecurity, Boko Haram may seek to distract military activities in the north-east and gain wider acceptance.

The UNDSS cautioned that Nigeria was at the beginning of a series of closely connected crises ranging from civil unrest, crime to the increasing threat of terrorism. that were fuming for quite some time and now released by COVID-19 impact on the government and population,” the report obtained by THISDAY read.

In the context of critical national infrastructure, these are considered any of economic or security entities and their premises (petrol industry installations, banks, governmental facilities, shopping malls, hotels, etc). Regardless of the location in the country, especially state capitals, including Lagos and Abuja, the threat remains real.

The UN does not consider itself a major target of the insurgents in Nigeria but considers it important to warn the government on potential threats to major national assets.

As a way of waging such attacks, the UNDSS recommended that country-specific security risk management measures in Nigeria be urgently reviewed and full implemented considered seriously.

President Muhammadu Buhari had warned that Boko Haram might strike amid the pandemic, but added that Nigeria remains vigilant.

Boko Haram: Japan donates $1.5m to stabilize the Northeast

The Japanese Government yesterday released $1.5 million (about N540 million) to fund community stabilisation projects and iniotiatives in the Northeast.

The fund will be channelled via an ongoing United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) programme in Nigeria launched in 2016, aimed at supporting victims of Boko Haram terrorism in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states.

A similar support provided by the Japanese government was important in rehabilitating 20 public infrastructures and in providing emergency employment to more than 2,000 Internally Displaced People (IDPs) and returnees.

Similarly, more than 4,000 farmers and over 1,000 small businesses were supported with inputs and capital that helped improve and expand their sources of livelihood.

Recall that the same government had invested $6.5 million in the Northeast stabilisation activities, to be utilised based on the framework of Integrated Community Stabilisation Programme, which UNDP has been implementing in the region for the direct benefit of about 125,000 people.

Making the donation public, Acting UNDP Resident Representative, Khardiata Lo Ndiaye, said: “Stabilisation efforts in the Northeast are helping families and communities begin to rely less on humanitarian aid and more on themselves. This support from the government of Japan will go a long way in laying a foundation for development to take place again in the region.”

She added that meeting needs of the crisis-affected communities remained a huge challenge requiring more partners and investment.

Chargé d’Affaires Ad Interim of Japan, Mr. Shigeru Umetsu, reassured that Japan would continue to support Nigeria’s efforts stabilise livelihoods in the Northeast, The Guardian Nigeria reports.

« Older Entries