China stopped WHO from issuing alert on COVID-19 -CIA
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the United State’s security agency says China prevented the World Health Organisation (WHO) from alarming the world on the COVID-19 in January.
According to Newsweek, the CIA said China kept stockpiling medical supplies from all over the world while they kept the world in the dark.
As at 15th May 2020, the world has recorded 4,527,823 cases of COVID-19. While 1,706,406 people have recovered from the disease, 303,438 have died.
As at the preparation of this report, US, Spain and Russia have recorded the most deaths so far, going be the records from to Worldometer.
The Newsweek website reported that CIA documents reveal that China had threatened the WHO that it would suspend cooperating with its investigations into the disease if it declared an emergency.
Also quoting Der Spiegel, a German publication, the news outlet said China was first indicted for alleged cover up by German intelligence last week.
Recall that the German intelligence had reported that on January 21st Chinesse President Xi Jinping was “personally applying” pressure on Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general to withhold the declaration of the COVID-19 a global pandemic.
Christian Lindmeier, WHO spokesperson, said the Chinese president and Ghebreyesus did not communicate on January 21 or 22.
“Dr Tedros did not communicate with President Xi on Jan 20, 21 or 22. Dr Tedros and his senior team met with President Xi in Beijing on Jan. 28,” Lindmeier said.
Following reports of compromise on the part of the WHO, US President Donald Trump has since reduced funding to the global health organization, blaming the health agency for the global spread of the disease.