Monthly Archives: September 2019

Seun Onigbinde resigns his appointment As Technical Adviser

Seun Onigbinde, co-founder of BudgIT, has resigned his appointment as technical adviser at the ministry of budget and national planning.

Onigbinde’s appointment sparked off wild reactions from Nigerians on social media. A known critic of President Muhammadu Buhari, the tech expert was flayed for accepting to serve in an administration he once described as a failure.

On Sunday, the Buhari media Organisation (BMO) issued a statement, condemning the appointment of Onigbinde whom they said lacks honour and integrity for accepting to serve in a government he criticised.

But in a statement on his Medium page on Monday, Onigbinde announced he was quitting the job over the outrage.

”Kindly recall that I sent out a note recently on my interest to seek new experiences and that I would be working as a Technical Adviser to the Minister of State for Budget and National Planning for a short period,” he said.

”It is clear that recent media reports about my appointment have created a complex narrative, which I believe would engender an atmosphere of mistrust, as I planned to proceed.

”Upon further reflections on the furore that has been generated by my new role as the Technical Adviser to the Minister of State for Budget and National Planning, I humbly resign the appointment.”

Onigbinde said his interest is to see a Nigeria that grows and optimises resources for the benefits of all Nigerians.

He said his loyalty to the good cause of the country compelled him to accept the call to provide technical skills, adding that his recent experience has more than strengthened it.

”I also want to wish the Nigerian Government, led by President Muhammadu Buhari, well. I will always be of help to the federal government in my capacity as the Director of BudgIT, a critical fiscal transparency group, as I have been to several agencies. I would also work to ensure that BudgIT continues to build civic awareness on the right of every Nigerian to know how public resources are managed,” he said.

Tribunal Dismisses Suit Seeking Atiku’s Disqualification on the grounds of Citizenship

The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal has dismissed the argument by the All Progressives Congress (APC) that presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Atiku Abubakar was not a Nigerian by birth.

In its ruling on Wednesday, the tribunal said its power does not include determining the qualification of a petitioner in an election dispute.

The court held that the respondents ought to file a cross-petition against the qualification of Atiku for the February 23 poll and not to use it as a defence.

Buhari earlier in his reply to Atiku’s petition seeking his disqualification for not possession prerequisite academic qualifications for the office of President had urged the court to disqualify Atiku on grounds that he was not a Nigerian.

According to Buhari and APC, Jada, the birthplace of Atiku in 1946 belonged to Cameroon and not part of Northern Nigeria.

Source: Channels TV

To free 20 hostages, Katsina releases six suspected bandits.

The Kastina state government has released six suspected bandits detained by security agencies in exchange for 20 kidnap victims.

This is said to be part of a peace deal between bandits and the state government.

Eight local government areas in the state comprising Dandume, Sabuwa, Faskari, Kankara, Safana, Danmusa, Batsari and Jibiya have come under frequent attacks by bandits.

The situation was said to have prompted the state government to engage leaders of the bandits in a dialogue, during which agreements were reached to release some of their members held by security agencies.

During the handover of the bandits, Aminu Masari, governor of the state, said he and the security chiefs has been visiting the local government areas that shared borders with Rugu forests, which served as a hideout for the bandits.

Masari said part of the agreement was the handover of bandits in detention who had not been prosecuted.

According to him, the bandits would, in return, handover to government the people they kidnapped and were in their custody.

He said the process started on Monday, with the release of five people; two females and three males, while 20 more will be released before the end of September 10.

He added that many more kidnap victims would be released as part of the peace deal.

Source: TheCable

BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s Petition against Atiku/PDP

The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal sitting at the Court of Appeal, on Wednesday, has dismissed a preliminary objection by the Independent National Electoral Commission, seeking the striking out of the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party and its candidate, Atiku Abubakar, challenging the declaration of Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress as winner of the February 23, presidential election.

INEC’s motion dated May 15, was filed by its counsel, Yunus Usman SAN.
Specifically, INEC contended that the non-joining of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo as a party in the petition rendered the case incompetent and therefore liable to be dismissed.

But in a lead judgment, Chairman of the 5-man PEPT, Justice Mohammed Garba held that the non-joinder of Osinbajo could not render the petition incompetent.

Justice Garba stated that the VP is only an interested party and not a necessary party because he was chosen by the 2nd respondent, President Buhari and the APC (3rd respondent) as a running mate.
In a unanimous ruling, the tribunal held that “the motion of the 1st respondent is not well-grounded in law, it lacks merit and is hereby refused”.

Source: The Nation

BREAKING: court orders seizure of Diezani’s $40m jewellery, iPhone

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday ordered the permanent forfeiture of the 2,149 pieces of jewellery and a customised gold iPhone, valued at $40m, recovered from the Abuja home of a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke.

In a ruling on Tuesday, Justice Nicholas Nicholas Oweibo held that Diezani, through her lawyer, Awa Kalu (SAN), failed to show cause why the items should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had told the judge that the jewellery and iPhone were reasonably suspected to be acquired with fraud proceeds.

The anti-graft agency said the items were beyond Diezani’s legitimate earnings.

« Older Entries