Abia North: “INEC perpetuating Illegality” – Ohuabunwa
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Abia North, Senatorial candidate, Sen. Mao Ohuabunwa, yesterday kicked against the declaration of the former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu as Senator-elect for the Senatorial district in last Saturday National Assembly election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Announcing Kalu winner of Abia North Senatorial contest is a joke taken too far, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) spokesperson in Abia State said.
Recall that the elections held in the same senatorial district was declared inconclusive in 2015 with the same contestants in a tight race.
The spokesperson writes
The following results were announced by INEC for the 5 LGAs that make up Abia North Senatorial district in Abia State:
APC = 5,496
PDP = 5,613
APGA = 2, 609
APC = 5,523
PDP = 4,861
APGA = 4,247
APC = 8,317
PDP = 4,609
APC = 10,701
PDP = 4 875
APGA = 2,232
APC = 1,166
PDP = 843
APGA = 528
APC = 31,201
PDP = 20,801
APGA = 11,410
Others = 1,110
Note the following
1. Bende LGA result did not emanate from the polling units as no results were declared at that level. All results in Bende should have been canceled but the Returning Officer was forced at gunpoint to declare the result for House of Representatives even when he noted 7,601 canceled votes which was more than the margin of 3,547 and he fled afterwards to Umuahia where he issued a statement calling for the cancellation of what he declared.
2. Nkporo in Ohafia LGA recorded 21,360 canceled votes in 32 units of two Wards; precisely Ndi Elu – 15 and Ndi Agbo – 17.
3. Arochukwu (Senator Mao’s home LGA) recorded 31,284 canceled votes with 72 of 149 Polling Units canceled.
4. Elections were canceled at polling units inside Abia State University, Uturu in Isuikwuato LGA with about 19,563 registered voters disenfranchised. That was more than the margin of victory of 3,708 votes recorded for the LGA.
5. Ohafia town recorded 4,682 canceled votes.
A. Total number of canceled votes is 76,889
B. Announced margin of victory 10,402.
Difference between margin of victory and canceled votes is 66,487
Can INEC validly declare a winner of that poll?
The INEC returning officer for Abia North election, Dr Charles Anumudu, is a brother to Willie Anumudu of Globe motors, who is a long term associate of Orji Uzor Kalu and through whom he procured most of the vehicles he bought as Governor of Abia State between 1999 and 2007.